Ever wondered what you can insure? You can actually insure quite a few things, maybe even a few things you did not realize that you could. Today not only are we going to tell you some wacky things that you can insure. But we will also cover some things you probably should and should not insure. Because that can be pretty confusing to say the least!
Craziest Things People have Insured?
- Being Kidnapped! – You can insure yourself or others against being kidnapped and one of these policies should pay the ransom even.
- Abilities & Talents – Think like a singer’s voice. You can insure your special talent against damages or losses due to injury.
- Body parts – Yes, you can insure your body parts even if you are not a celebrity. Many have likely heard about celebrities insuring their body parts. Often for several million dollars, because their incomes depend on them.
- Fantasy Sports – Love your fantasy football? Worried a key player will get injured? You can insure your investments just in case such a thing were to happen.
- Alien Abduction! – Believe it or not, you can insure yourself against alien abduction. This is regardless of any medical conditions, and as I understand it you will be approved no matter who you are.
What Should you Insure?
This really all comes down to risk assessment and personal preference. Though we felt since we were mentioning all the wacky things you can insure, we should include some serious things worth thinking about.
- Your pets – You can get health insurance for your pets as well. This could come in very handy if kitty or puppy develop serious health issues.
- Artwork – If you have expensive artwork in your home it may be worth insuring. In my opinion this escalates in importance along with value of the art. The more it is worth, the more someone else may be willing to take it off of your hands.
- Jewelry – Your wedding ring and heirloom pieces are worthy of considering coverage for. You only need to cover what you wish of course. And what you feel is worth the investment of coverage. If your ring never leaves your hand, you may feel this is not for you.
- Electronics – Have a really killer man cave? Have an awesome computer? Consider covering those assets.
In the end, insurance is unfortunately a bit of gambling. I hope you never need insurance. Unfortunately, most of us do at some point or another. Let us know what you think is most worth insuring outside of the normal home, car, health!